Ulum al Qur'an
Muslim scholars have laid down certain basic conditions for sound
Tafsir. Any Tafsir, which disregards these principles must be viewed with great caution,
if not rejected altogether. The most important among these conditions are the following:
The mufassir must:
- Be sound in belief ('aqida).
- Well-grounded in the knowledge of Arabic and its rules as a
- Well-grounded in other sciences that are connected with the
study of the Qur'an (e.g. 'ilm al-riwaya).
- Have the ability for precise comprehension.
- Abstain from the use of mere opinion.
- Begin the Tafsir of the Qur'an with the Qur'an.
- Seek guidance from the words and explanations of the
- Refer to the reports from the sahaba.
- Consider the reports from the tabi'un.
- Consult the opinions of other eminent scholars.